Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Last Breakfast



Technically my second to last breakfast, but tomorrow I get up go to the airport and begin my trek home.

As I munch on stale breads and look up at the Acropolis from my fifth floor breakfast perch, I think of all the breakfasts I have had on the trip. I really miss cucumber, tomato, olive, hot hard boiled eggs.

My body is feeling tired today — I did a lot yesterday 13.5 miles of hiking up and down through trough Athens.

Back to missing cucumbers. Do I miss them because they are really good for breakfast or do the just remind me of an earlier time when the trip was young and not on it last breaths?  I trust the true answer is both. Of course the word on the news is that Spanish cucumbers can kill you –  so much for being philosophical.

Looking around Athens from this vantage point, looking at temples, the Pantheon, old markets I still struggle to grasp that Western  Civilization began here. That the citizens of ancient Athens had fun.  Real lives –  people going to work, going to concerts, plays, shopping , playing sports.  In reality I sometimes have the same problem with modern civilizations that I don't understand.  Travel helps me connect those dots.

I wonder if I ever left home.


No comments:

Post a Comment