Friday, April 22, 2011

Turkish Kahve and Practice Dinner

I went to The Black Sea Restaurant  last night for a practice dinner. The restaurant has been there for many years, in fact it was the first Turkish Restaurant in Minnesota. I remember when it opened I meant to go there, funny why it took so long.

It was a cozy and and older cafe feel to it. Tolga (sp?) the waiter cook host made me feel quite welcome. He was from  eastern Turkey in a region on the Black Sea thst I will not be visisting, but it looked lovley from the photos he shared with me.
For dinner I had iskenderkebab - I was a pita - flat on the plate with gyro meat on it with yogurt and a spicy red sauce.  For my beverage I had ayran. It is a yoghourt and water drink.  It usually has salt in it - but they let you put in your own. The drink is served with most meals in Turkey - It is good for your digestion and the salt is good for dehydration on hot summer days.  The taste was a little bitter to start out, but grew on me. This drink was the one I felt I needed the most practice with and had a successful work out with it.

After dinner I had a Turkish Coffee (Kahve) this is a thick heavy coffee - much thicker and stronger than any espresso I have had.  As I really did not get to sleep - I learned not to drink it after dinner when it is so late.

Eating iskenderkebab and drinking ayran

No comments:

Post a Comment